I feel like Dorothy in the middle of that tornado — watching the world go by at high speed, unsure of where I’m going to land, and feeling a little like there’s danger when I do land.

Lisa and I have both been sick a little bit here and there.  We’ve been doing work for some local agencies, volunteering, making phone calls, going to meetings, going to work, and just generally living life in a much faster lane than we’re used to.


Ethan, my youngest grandson, broke his arm Tuesday or Wednesday of last week.  He apparently fell off the back of the couch, where Mom had just finished telling Ethan and his older brother Brandon to get down before someone got hurt.  Someone did get hurt.  Now, Linda (my daughter) tells me that it’s a “crumple” break — an action similar to when you crush a pop can from top to bottom.  Both bones are broken but, because Ethan is only 19 months old, his bones are still “spongy” and will likely heal very quickly and without any problems.

Now, back when this little guy was born, I made him a blanket.  It was luxuriously soft and Linda liked it immediately.  She said it was heavy enough that the baby couldn’t wiggle out from under it during the night, but not so heavy as to be problematic as far as size or bulk.  Well, this “B” as Ethan calls it, goes everywhere with Ethan.  He has to sit with it in his lap when he eats.  He needs it in the car.  He sleeps with it.  He holds out his hand and cries out “B!” “B!”  It’s quite the head trip for this Grandma, I can tell you that. 

Anyway, Linda complains that she can’t get it away from him long enough to wash it and is embarassed by its appearance sometimes when it gets dirty.  I found enough yarn left over from the blanket that I was able to make a “patch” that’s about 4″ x 9″ so that he can still have his “B” texture, color, whatever, without the large blanket having to be carried around.  With his broken arm, he needs his “B” and we thought it might be better for him if he had a small piece of it.  So, I knitted furiously to get it done by the weekend.

We spent all day Saturday out and about, getting caught up on basic household chores that have been neglected since the ruling came out on February 1.  We had so many errands to run, I actually had to make a list. 

We got to the post office too late to mail out Ethan’s “B,” but managed to make it to the bank in time to deposit a check for GoldMar (Lisa worked last week).  Then it was over to our other bank to deposit those huge checks (for $4.98 and $.02) into our personal checking account.

The mall was next, and I was trying to find a nice duster or long jacket to go with a sleeveless navy blue dress I have, so that I could wear it to the celebration at the end of the month.  Wouldn’t it just figure that, when you’re not in the market for something, you see it everywhere but, when you decide you want it, you can’t find it to save your life.  I ended up (after 2½ hours of shopping) just buying a new outfit — all white, very much like an older “bride’s” dress.  I like it — a lot.  And it’s versatile enough that I think I can interchange the jacket and skirt with other things I have, so that I have many outfits instead of one or two.  We got it at Burlington Coat Factory and paid under $80 for it.  Another bonus!

We hadn’t done any meaningful grocery shopping in more than a month and, when the bill was tallied up at BJ’s, it was just shy of $300.   Of course, most of the purchases were “bulk” items so after we shopped, we had to go home and split everything up.  We bought large bags of vegetables and large trays of meat which had to be broken down into meal-size portions for our small family.  So, out comes the cutting board and the cleaver, and we set to dividing things up.  We typically divide then put the food items into FoodSaver storage bags and then freeze them.  It took just over an hour to get it all done.  While we were cutting up meats, I put a roast in the pressure cooker and, by the time we were done with the division of food, the roast was done.  Unfortunately, it was 8:00 P.M. by the time we had dinner — something I really hate.  I was in bed by 10:00 Saturday night, exhausted from the shopping.

Sunday we spent the better part of 5 hours going through a stack of letters given to a local agency we’ve been volunteering for, entering names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses into a database for future use.  We also had to split the list and email it out to other people so that we could all make telephone calls and thank those people for their letters (supporting marriage equality) and reminding them of the Equality and Justice Day trip on April 29th.

I’ve been busy as hell at work, too.  It seems like the incoming jobs are completely endless and there seems to be a frantic tone associated with each request — a lot of them due to the Four P Principle — piss poor prior planning.

Spring Break is just around the corner, though.  In just two weeks, I’ll get a break from the idjits and hopefully get some peace and quiet.  It’s the week prior to the community celebration, so I’m guessing there’s not going to be a lot of peace and quiet. 

Lisa and I have our first dance lesson that week — on the 17th.  A local vendor, who will be doing exhibits at the wedding expo has offered free lessons to a female-female couple and a male-male couple.  She’s very excited about marketing to the gay and lesbian community and has offered these lessons for us to exhibit at the celebration.  Lisa and I, being the “honorary couple” will do the first wedding dance and we’ve selected “I’ll still love you more” sung by Trisha Yearwood.  It’s a slow song, but a bit more upbeat than many.

There’s still a lot of controversy over the selection process of a president for this prestigious community college.  The majority of the Board of Trustees seems to be favoring a political appointment of one of two men that THEY chose — one of which has no academic experience other than his own college education.  The existing search committees (two of them) have spent the past YEAR interviewing qualified candidates and have whittled the field down to two highly qualified candidates.

But now one very vocal member of the board (who favors the political appointments) is taking issue with the selection process (by the search committees) that have been underway for the past year.  NOW he’s taking issue with it?

Were I one of those two highly qualified candidates, this would surely sour me on the job and make me look elsewhere.  Which is probably EXACTLY what Mr. John Parrinello and the rest of his asshat cronies on the board are hoping for.

There are a lot of people here that are genuinely worried about losing their jobs (and rightfully so).  I’m one of them.  I’m too old to start over someplace else and look for retirement benefits. 

There’s a special meeting of the Board of Trustees Wednesday at noon, here at the college.  I’m betting that place is going to be flooded with people — students, staff, faculty, and concerned citizens from the community.