According to a local news article, yesterday was traditionally the busiest shipping day of the year — it’s exactly a week before Christmas Eve.  I’d have to confirm that because we were crankin’ all night last night, from the moment I clocked in at 6:00 until the moment I clocked out at midnight.  Lisa clocked in at 7:00 PM and got home a little after 6:00 this morning.  She said they were sorting mail all night long.  I would guesstimate that I, personally, handled over 2000 pieces of mail last night. 

However, since Thursday is the last day you can mail a package “Priority Mail,” and still have it get there by Christmas, I’m betting that we won’t have a moment for a pee break Thursday night — probably Friday as well.  Friday is our last day.  Thankfully.  It’s been kinda fun, but I’m tired now and glad it’s almost over.  Everything from my hips down hurts and aches.  My hands, fingers, wrists and elbows are stiff and sore.   I put in 33 hours the first week, 38 hours last week, and am on pace for just about 35 hours this week.  Lisa is on pace for well over 50.  They’ve asked her if she’d be willing to stay on after Christmas but she declined after they told her it would be 12 hour days, 6 days a week.  While that would equate to more than $1,000 a week, it hardly seems worth the money to have to work that grueling a schedule.  Frankly, I don’t think it’s enough pay to have to work 72 hours a week — it averages out to just below $14/hour.

I’ve lost about 4½ lbs. in the past three weeks working at the post office, brining my total weight loss since September 1 to 13½ lbs.  I’m down a size as well.  The upcoming holidays will certainly bring some battles on good choices versus bad choices, but I think I’ve got myself on a good track. 

When I got home last night there was a card on my pillow.  The sentiments were beautiful and made it very obvious that Lisa felt badly about our spat the day before.  She was especially attentive last night and, because I mentioned that I had to stop on the way home today after work for gas, she took my vehicle from the work parking lot last night and put gas in it for me.  She’s a keeper, that girl.

We’re looking ahead to the weekend.  We’ll work Friday night and, hopefully, Lisa will get out of there at a decent time.  We’ve agreed that I won’t work past midnight so that I can drive at least the first couple of hours of our trip to Pennsylvania, so she can catnap.  It’s about a 4 hour drive and I’m not fond of driving those twisty, windy, mountainous roads in PA in the bad weather.  If the weather is relatively clear and the roads good and dry, I won’t mind it and will drive so that she can rest better.

Friday afternoon I’ll have to make my party meatballs and put them in the crockpot.  I’ll probably set the crockpot out in the garage to keep stuff “refrigerated” and then we can take them down with us — everyone always brings a dish to pass and Lisa volunteered me for my “outstanding” meatballs.

I have to find some time to get some groceries for Christmas dinner — I’m not sure when that will be.  Heck, I don’t do anything constructive between midnight and six in the morning, I might as well grocery shop. 

Speaking of doing something constructive between midnight and 6 AM, I find it completely amazing that I am completely unable to actually sleep when Lisa’s not there.  I tossed and turned most of the night, often waking and looking at the clock.  I was cold, so I cranked up the heat on my electric blanket — which is almost always set on ‘2’ to Lisa’s 6 or 7 setting.  Neither of the cats came in to sleep on the bed as well — something which always puts me out (something about that purring while they curl up near me).  I think our odd hours have completely unsettled our furry kids as well as ourselves.  I’ll be so glad when things get back to normal.  I plan to sleep all of next week away — or at least give it a good try.

While my last day of work at the post office is Friday, so, too, is my last day of work at my full-time job.  I’ll be off beginning Friday (taking the day off) December 21 through Monday, January 7.  Eighteen glorious days of…………whatever the fuck I wanna do (or not).  Perhaps a video-watching marathon of all five seasons of Queer as Folk and the first four seasons of The L Word.  Surely I’ll get some new DVDs so I’ll watch them as well.  I’ll start a new knitting project, as yet undetermined as to what.  I may or may not get dressed.  I may or may not cook.  I may or may not have wild, wanton, screaming monkey sex with Lisa.  Most certainly I won’t clean, do laundry, or dust.  We’ll use paper plates so I won’t have to do dishes — I wonder how many days a week I can order pizza and wings, or subs before it becomes a financial liability larger than a Hummer payment?  This is my selfish recharge time of the year and, now that Lisa’s not working at that other job, and will be home with me, I’m really looking forward to it.


  • 4 days left to work at the post office
  • 4 days left to work at the college until January 7th.
  • 7 days left until Christmas
  • 8 days left until selfish time
  • 13 days left in the year
  • 14 days until the new year
  • 15 days until a much-needed haircut

Is it Friday yet?